September 7, 2017
The 2017 SA Science Excellence Award winners have been announced, representing South Australia’s best and brightest.
The South Australian Science Excellence Awards recognise and reward outstanding scientific endeavour, including its application in industry and the advancement of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education. This year, six scientists and educators were recognised, sharing in $75,000 worth of prize money. The 2017 SA Science Excellence Award winners are:
- South Australian Scientist of the Year: Professor James Paton (University of Adelaide)
- PhD Research Excellence: Dr Joel Fuller (University of South Australia)
- Early Career STEM Educator of the Year – School Teaching: Mr Thierry Herman (Le Fevre High School)
- Early Career STEM Educator of the Year: Tertiary Teaching: Dr Claudia Szabo (University of Adelaide)
- Excellence in Research Collaboration: University of Adelaide, Australian Centre for Visual Technologies and LBT Innovations Ltd
- STEM Professional: Dr Duncan Taylor (Forensic Science SA)
Winners of the 2017 SA Science Excellence Awards were announced at a gala dinner held on Friday, 11 August at the Adelaide Convention Centre.